This simple recipe makes for a delicious breakfast any time during the blueberry season.
- One or two packages of quick oats (Quaker brand, etc.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of blueberries
- Prepare oatmeal as per the direction on the package, adding enough water to give the oats the consistency you want.
- Dump in the blueberries immediately and let them partially dissolve. Stir the mixture.
- After a few minutes give the oatmeal another stir and enjoy!
 When Are They Ripe?
Around the third week of July, parts of Manitoba are are overflowing with wild blueberries.
"The berries ripen as early as mid-July, but peak season in southern Manitoba is usually late July through August (later further north). The lengthy flowering period means that the berries ripen over a long span of time, too. Berries can persist on the plants until well into September."
 Where Do They Grow?
Blueberry plants like partial shade to sunny conditions so you will often find these plants around exposed areas such as trails. The Whiteshell region often has a plentiful supply of these berries. One great spot is the section of trail around Caribou Lake on the southern end of the Mantario Hiking Trail.
- Garden Guides - Blueberry Thrills - Growing your own blueberries.